Monday, May 20, 2013



I love New York. I love everything about the city. The constant commotion, the ability to get anywhere you want to go, the ambiguity, the food, the people, the shopping, but most of all the theatre. I love paying 85 dollars to sit in a dark over air-conditioned theatre, to me its all worth it. I love being in shows, I love seeing them, I love just being a part of any kind of theatre. I love staying at my grandparents house and taking the train in. I love walking to 520 8th Avenue or 264 W. 44th street. I love feeling as though even among the thousands of people I fit in. I love being able to go to studio spaces to work with actors, casting agents, directors, and writers, and than being able to go and get food from 400 different places by just walking two blocks. I always said this when I would visit New York as a kid, that you could live here and eat at a different place for breakfast, lunch, and dinner everyday for a whole year and never have to eat at the same place twice. I always loved New York even from the time I was just a child. When I was 3 my grandparents took me to see Lion King on Broadway, they are theatre people always have been, they see everything: plays, musicals, on Broadway or off they just love the theatre. In fact my grandfather was a failed actor. He was in a couple of not so sucessful movies, the tiger makes out being the one I know, but he did get to meet some famous people. He went to the same vocal coach as Bernadette Peters, worked out for her much better I know, and he did a movie with Dustin Hoffman as well, though he said he was kind of a jerk (depressing I know.) Anyway since that first show I have been hooked. I always loved being on stage and I love seeing others on stage too. There is something so different about live theatre, its just nothing like a movie, don't get me wrong I like movies too, but that feeling you get from being in or performing for a live audience is like nothing else. Its like everyone in that dark cold room is a part of something. The actors, the stage manager, the audience, the guy at the sound board, they are all watching something that takes them somewhere else. For an hour and a half you aren't you anymore, but your someone else. Your bringing these characters to life for everyone to see. I love that feeling of being the one who is able to tell that story. The one who is able to bring someone to life, but I enjoy seeing someone else do it too. For someone to be so convincing that you forget who they are and only see who they've become. I have seen about 30 Broadway shows and I don't remember the details to most of them, I saw 42nd street and literally remember nothing about the actual show itself, but I know the feeling after every show of leaving the theatre slightly dazed still entranced by the characters themselves not wanting to return to my own life just yet. That’s why I don't enjoy waiting for actors at the stage door. Seeing them as themselves after the show ruins the magic for me. I love meeting actors and working with them, but I don't actually want to meet them after the show. I feel like finally seeing someone’s true self can almost ruin the character they have created. I love the stories that theatre can tell and the characters are the main part of that. Without characters people care about the show has no purpose. That’s why I love acting, I love bringing to life a character someone actually cares about. I love watching someone bring characters to life as well. Believe it or not I think I feel most at home when im not at home, but rather being transported somewhere else.

No comments:

Post a Comment